Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sneaky touchdowns

It was during a game in Starkville on the home field of Mississippi State when I stepped in front of the pass and took it 100 yards for a touchdown. The crowd was rocking and I raised my arms crossing the goal line and tossed the ball to the official. The first touchdown still stands out the most in my memory though. Taking a handoff from Fred at the goal line, jumping into the air over the offensive line, and with a slight twist of my body found the open seam between the linebackers crashing through the lines. I saw Chip’s arms shoot straight up, and in the days before replay I knew my touchdown in “The Swamp” was secure.

The former was the last one and the latter was the first time. No, not to really score a touchdown in a big SEC game, but the first and last time I managed to sneak into a college stadium completely void of all the pageantry of Saturday. No people in the stands anticipating their team running into the stadium. No band marching into formation while playing their fight song. Not even a security guard keeping a dreamer from scoring a touchdown on the playing field. In my travels it has become a valued way to fill time between meetings or end a day. To date there has not been a single one that could not be conquered. There are also a few rules. First, no fence climbing (not at my age). Second, respect the playing surface. If the school is trying to grow a new stand of grass, stay off of it. All touchdowns come near the sidelines, not the middle of the field. Third, try hard to get a picture.

In the years since the mid-80’s when we made our way into the swamp at about 5:30 in the morning while on a road trip with best friends there have probably been at least 40 stadiums it has been a privilege to observe in quiet. At Clemson Howard’s Rock was available to touch and the home of the Washington Huskies has the most beautiful view outside the stadium there is…it must be comforting when you are getting drilled badly.  At Georgia Tech my “uniform” consisted of worn Asics running shoes, shorts and a sweaty t-shirt, while at Stanford my jacket came off, but the tie stayed on for a long kickoff return to score.

Is there a retirement on the horizon from this absurd hobby? Nope. Which stadium is the most impressive? They are all special in their own way. Who are you playing for? Do those who know me really have to ask? Do your children approve of this? They have come to understand the eccentric nature of their father. Does your wife ever go with you? No, she has much more common sense. Which stadium is next? Not about to give some school a heads up to lock their gates.

Which college stadium do you find to be the best and why? Send a note and let me know. Meanwhile enjoy the rest of spring practice from around country, because football news will soon be hard to find. But we will have all of it for you at SECMatchups.com

Gary

gary@secmatchups.com

No comments: